How People Change
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2, NIV)
I like my truck clean. I like my house clean. I like clean things.
We have an automobile cleaning pass at a local business, and for $20 each month we can just drive through anytime for a good car washing. I usually pay an extra $6 to have the inside of my truck spiffed up, too.
The last time I went, I paid for this inside cleaning, and when I got back in the truck, I noticed it was vacuumed and the general appearance of things was better. However, on a little closer inspection, I noticed the cup holders still needed attention as they still sported that layer of sticky mystery material that requires a good scrubbing to remove. Likewise, the door handles did not pass the white glove test, there were a few small pieces of paper on the floor, and some debris still under the seats. For about two seconds, I was slightly perturbed and felt a bit slighted. Then I remembered there are different levels of cleaning. If I wanted the truck actually detailed, then I could expect perfection. I paid for $6 worth of cleaning, and I got what I paid for.
LEVELS OF CHANGE
Here is the foundational verse describing how a person changes at the deepest level of their personal truth. The apostle Paul describes his life change at his deepest core value in these words:
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20, NIV)
Get this: Your life in your body is to be lived by faith in the Son of God.
Get this: Christ lives in you, so your life is no longer your life. He lives through you.
In order for change to happen at a deep enough level, it has to get all the way down to the personal identity truths. Here are the levels of change:
- Environment . . . changing your surroundings and external influences.
- Thoughts/Behaviors/Feelings . . . changing your internal patterns and habits.
- Capabilities . . . changing your abilities to behave, know, understand, think, and even feel.
- Beliefs (About God and Yourself) . . . changing your core beliefs about who God is and who you are in relationship to Him and the world.
- Identity . . . changing the very nature of who you are, and how you function and operate in life.
To understand level 5 change, you have to understand Galatians 2:20. You have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer you who live but Christ living in you. The life that you now live in the body you live by faith as Christ in you.
This core identity is the key to change. Knowing this is how to live a Spirit-filled and Christ-Filled life.
Christ in you is the power to change. Getting this at the identity level is your ultimate goal in transforming your mind and life.
“I no longer live, but Christ lives in me…” write down the full measure of what this means. What does this say about who you are and your personal identity?
“Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, then you’ll be able to test and approve God’s will . . . “ How does your personal identity play a role in transforming and renewing your mind?
Lord Jesus, you saved me. You filled me. You are living in me. You are my life. It is not my will that makes me a follower of you, it’s your sovereign grace that empowers me from the inside. Everything good in me is you. Everything true in me is you. Everything lasting about my life is you. You are my all in all. You are my life and I worship you. Thank you for filling me, renewing me, and calling me out of the old and into the new life. I worship you today. In Your Name, Amen.
- LEVELS OF CHANGE, by Bob Camp – listen to this message about how people change https://vimeo.com/30752155 . . . take extensive notes.
- GROWTH TRACK – register today for Step 1, 2 or 3 in the Growth Track at www.myanchorchurch.com/growthtrack. Then tell someone about what is happening in your journey to Know God.
- GET IN A GROUP – explore the opportunities to connect with other people in an Anchor Group at www.myanchorchurch.com/groups. You will grow and you will help others grow in their faith.