Receiving the Holy Spirit
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! (Luke 11:13, ESV)
You may not be a Star Wars fan, but I’m sure you’ve at least heard the phrase, “May the force be with you”, right? It was originated by Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars IV as a phrase much like “good luck” to express a wish for good favor to work on behalf of an individual. Obi-Wan wanted his followers to benefit from the good forces.
While the general concept of good forces versus evil forces that is so often portrayed in the movies has the ring of truth to it, the Spirit of God is different than any force in any movie. God’s Spirit is more than just a force, it is the eternal and knowable person of God. There is no limit to His power and there is no limit to what He can do in your life and through your life.
The desire of Jesus for everyone who follows him as a disciple is for each person to be completely filled with God’s Spirit. God’s Spirit is also known as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is knowable, very personal, and you can receive Him fully into your life by faith.
How Do I Receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit?
◦ Every believer in Jesus receives the gift of the Holy Spirit at the point of salvation.
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, (Ephesians 1:13, ESV).
◦ The Bible says if we ask for the Holy Spirit, our prayers will be answered. (Luke 11:9). This verse is not talking about asking, seeking and knocking on a door, this verse is taking about seeking God; especially asking Him for His presence and His Spirit.
• By Faith
◦ In Galatians 3:2, the apostle Paul asked, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?” You must believe that you will receive if you ask. No good work can bring the Holy Spirit.
What Can I Expect?
You can certainly expect things to be much different. Some people become affected with different manifestations associated with the encounter. Some become very emotional in worship. Some become overwhelmed with joy and an attitude of praise and peace. Some begin to pray in tongues. Others experience a much greater hunger and boldness for the Word of God and power to speak of Jesus or demonstrate his love.
These manifestations may not happen at all and are not required in order to “prove” the presence of the Holy Spirit; however, they are very common and can even be expected when the Holy Spirit is received.
Additional Scriptures For Study
Matthew 3:11 NLT
“I baptize with water those who turn from their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is far greater than I am-—so much greater that I am not even worthy to be His slave. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”
Mark 1:8 NLT
“I baptize you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!”
Luke 3:16b NLT
“He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”
And John bore witness saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’”
Have you ever prayed to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit? What happened?
God’s Spirit will always speak to us through the written Word of God. How have you experienced the Holy Spirit when reading the Word of God?
The Holy Spirit’s work is truly seen and evidenced through the attitude of Christ and the character traits of Jesus. These are called the Fruit of the Spirit. Read Galatians 5:21-22. Which fruit is the greatest evidence of the Holy Spirit working in your life right now? Why?
Father, will you fill me more and more with your presence? Today I come to you by faith and ask you to completely flood me with your presence. I want to know you and I need your presence and your power today more than ever before. Draw me to hunger for you more and satisfy my deepest longings with more of your Spirit. Holy Spirit you are my source, my comforter, my helper, my teacher, and I seek your work in my life today. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
- BAPTISM – if you have never been baptized after receiving salvation, go to myanchorchurch.com/baptism and register for baptism today.
- GROWTH TRACK – register today for Step 1, 2 or 3 in the Growth Track at www.myanchorchurch.com/growthtrack. Then tell someone about what is happening in your journey to Know God.
- GET IN A GROUP – explore the opportunities to connect with other people in an Anchor Group at www.myanchorchurch.com/groups. You will grow and you will help others grow in their faith.